Lighthouses On The Isle Of Wight
Lighthouses on the Isle of Wight are main landmarks right here on the island. It is a perfect location for lighthouse enthusiasts to go to. Beneath you will see data relating to the lighthouses on the Isle of Wight.
Set in the western approaches to the Isle of Wight, the Needles kind a slim chalky peninsula which rises from jagged rocks to 120m cliffs. These rocks have always been a hazard to ships making their approach up the Solent to Portsmouth and Southampton Water.
In 1781 merchants and shipowners petitioned Trinity Home for a lighthouse. They obtained a patent in January 1782 which directed that lights needs to be saved burning within the nightseason whereby seafaring men and mariners may take notice and keep away from hazard….. and ships and other vessels of warfare may safely cruise during the night season in the British Channel.
Negotiations should have failed because it was not until 1785 that Trinity House erected to the designs of R. Jupp, for 30 years surveyor to the East India Firm, three lighthouses at the Needles, St. Catherine’s Point and Hurst Point. The Needles tower was lighted on the twenty ninth September 1786. Because the tower was situated on high of a cliff overhanging Scratchell’s Bay, the light which was 144m above sea stage was typically obscured by sea mists and fog and was subsequently of restricted use to mariners.
In 1859 Trinity House planned a new lighthouse to be constructed on the outermost of the chalk rocks near sea level. It was designed by James Walker and value £20,000. The circular granite tower has perpendicular sides and is 33.25m excessive, of uniform diameter with an unevenly stepped base to break the waves and discourage sea sweeping up the tower. The wall varies from 1.07m in thickness at the entrance, to zero.61m at the top. A lot of the base rock was reduce away to kind the inspiration and cellars and storehouses were excavated in the chalk.
The light at the Needles has two white, two crimson and one inexperienced sector, with one of the pink sectors intensified, these are set out as follows:
Pink intensified sector shore to 300 marks the St Anthony Rocks
White sector 300 to 083 marks the method to the Needles Channel from the west
Pink sector 083 to 212 marks the Shingles Financial institution
White sector 212 to 217 marks the course through the Needles Channel
Green sector 217 to 224 marks a secure channel previous the Hatherwood Rocks and the Warden Ledge
A helipad was constructed on high of the Needles Lighthouse in 1987.
The Needles Lighthouse was automated in 1994, the keepers left the lighthouse for the final time on 8th December. Needles was the final Trinity Home lighthouse powered by 100V DC electricity from it is own generators; to allow the automation to be carried out mains energy has been supplied by way of a subsea cable from the Needles Battery, which gives 240V AC energy for the new gear.
The original optic with it’s preparations of green and pink glass giving the totally different coloured sectors of gentle remained after automation however a new three place lampchanger was put in with two 1500W 240V predominant lamps and a 24V battery powered emergency lamp.
The supertyphon air pushed fog signal was replaced by two Honeywell ELG 500 Hz directional fog indicators managed by means of a fog detector. The emitter stacks have been mounted at gallery level exterior the helideck structure.
The Needles is monitored and managed through a cellphone telemetry hyperlink from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich, Essex.
Established : 1786
Peak Of Tower: 31 Metres
Height Of Light Above Imply Excessive Water: 24 Metres
Lamp: 1500W 240V
Optic: 2nd Order 700Mm Fastened Lens
Character: White, Crimson And Inexperienced Group Occurring Twice Each 20 Seconds (Mild 14 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds, Mild 2 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds)
Depth: Purple (Intensified) three,950 Candela, White 12,300 Candela, Crimson 1,800 Candela, Inexperienced 2,680 Candela
Vary Of Gentle: Purple (Intensified) 17 Sea Miles, White 17 Sea Miles, Red 14 Sea Miles, Green 14 Sea Miles
Fog Signal Character: Sounding Twice Each 30 Seconds
ST CATHERINE’S LIGHTHOUSE
St Catherine’s Lighthouse is situated at Niton Undercliffe, 5 miles from Ventnor on the Isle of Wight and comprises a white octagonal tower with 94 steps up to the lantern. The main light, seen for as much as 30 nautical miles in clear weather is the third most powerful mild in the Trinity Home Service giving a information to transport in the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.
There may be a set purple subsidiary mild displayed from a window 7 metres below the main gentle and shown westward over the Atherfield Ledge. It’s seen for 17 miles in clear weather, and was first exhibited in 1904. Both lights are electric, and standby battery lights are supplied in case of a power failure.
A small gentle was first arrange at St. Catherine’s in about 1323 by Walter de Godyton. He erected a chapel and added an endowment for a priest to say Plenty for his household and to exhibit lights at night time to warn ships from approaching too near this dangerous coast, both functions being fulfilled till about 1530 when the Reformation swept away the endowment. Neither the present lighthouse tower lighted in March 1840, nor the chapel of which the ruins stay, held these historic lights. The present tower was constructed in 1838 following the lack of the sailing ship CLARENDON on rocks near the positioning of the present lighthouse. The lighthouse was built of ashlar stone with dressed quoins and was carried up from a base plinth as a 3 tier octagon, diminishing by stages. The elevation of the sunshine proved to be too excessive, as the lantern continuously grew to become mist capped and in 1875 it was determined to decrease the sunshine 13 metres by taking about 6 metres out of the uppermost part of the tower and about 7 metres out of the center tier, which destroyed its beauty and made it seem dwarfed.
At the moment the fog sign house was situated close to the sting of the cliff but owing to erosion and cliff settlements the constructing developed such serious cracks that in 1932 it turned crucial to seek out a new place for the fog signal, which was eventually mounted on a lower tower annexed to the entrance of the lighthouse tower, stone island sweatshirt medium and constructed as a small replica. The resultant effect has been to offer a well proportioned step down between the two towers which are actually expressively referred to by the native inhabitants as “The Cow and the Calf”. The fog signal was discontinued in 1987.
A tragic incident took place at the station in the course of the Second World Warfare. On the 1st June 1943 a bombing raid destroyed the engine home killing the three keepers on responsibility who had taken shelter in the building. R.T. Grenfell, C. Tomkins and W.E. Jones have been buried within the local cemetery at Niton village and a plaque in remembrance of them is displayed on the ground floor of the principle tower.
St Catherines Lighthouse was automated in 1997 with the keepers leaving the lighthouse on 30 July.
The lighthouse had been a weather reporting station for the stone island sweatshirt medium Meteorological Office for some years;the keepers made hourly experiences which included the temperature, humidity, cloud top and formation and wind direction and power. Following demanning of the lighthouse an computerized weather reporting station was put in which sends details of the weather situations to the Met. Workplace.
The lighthouse itself is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations Management Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Height Of Tower: 27 Metres
Height Of Light Above Imply Excessive Water: 41 Metres
Automated: 30 July 1997
Lamp: 2 X four hundred W Mbi Lamp
Optic: 2nd Order 4 Panel Catadioptric
Character: One White Flash Each 5 Seconds
Intensity: 927,000 Candela
Range Of Mild: 26 Sea Miles
EGYPT Point (This light will not be operational)
Photo: Steven Winter
Tower Height: 25 ft.
Description of Tower: Purple publish with white lantern, on round white base.
Date Established: 1897
Date Current Tower Constructed: 1897
Date Deactivated: 1989
THE NAB TOWER
This curious looking object just a few miles to the South East of Bembridge began life throughout the first World Battle as a part of an anti-submarine defence system. During 1916 the British Admiralty, alarmed by the losses of allied merchant transport to German U-boats designed 4 or six towers that were to be built and positioned in the Straits of Dover. They can be linked along with steel nets and armed with two 4″ guns. Nevertheless when the Armistice was signed in 1918 only one of the planned towers was anyplace near completion. The others had been dismantled, however what was to be executed with this 92 foot tall metallic cylinder (costing a million pounds sterling, in those days), sitting on its raft of concrete
Until the end of the first World Struggle the harmful Nab Rock had been marked by a lightship, and it was decided to substitute this with a fixed lighthouse. The brand new lighthouse was floated into place and the concrete raft (189ft lengthy, by 150ft huge, by 80ft deep) flooded so the tower could sit on a shingle bank close to the Nab Rock.
As could be seen from the photograph the tower took up a distinct angle (3 degrees from the vertical towards the Northeast) when it settled. The lighthouse used to be manned by a crew of four, but in common with all Britain’s lighthouses it’s now unmanned and is fully automated.
Throughout WWII the Nab was armed with two 40mm Bofors Guns and was credited with capturing down 3½ enemy aircraft (the half was shared with a passing ship).
The tower nonetheless provides a welcoming sight to seafarers returning to the Solent at the top of their voyage. In November 1999 the Nab was hit by a freighter, the Dole-America, carrying a cargo of bananas and pineapples. The ship was badly damaged and solely prevented sinking by being run-aground. The base of the tower suffered only superficial harm.