North Canal Historic District
The North Canal Historic District of Lawrence, Massachusetts, encompasses the historic industrial coronary heart of the city. It is centered on the North Canal and the good Stone Dam, which provided the waterpower for its many mill complexes. The canal was listed on the National Register of Historic Locations in 1975, whereas the district was first listed in 1984, after which expanded barely in 2009.
The city of Lawrence was based by industrialist Abbott Lawrence and the associates of the Essex Firm as a model industrial city. In 1845 they company acquired land from then towns of Methuen and Andover and started building on the North Canal and the nice Stone Dam. The work included dredging and constructing out of “new land”, and effectively created a small island between the Merrimack River and the canal, whose outlet is on the mouth of the Spicket River. Work on these two main options was accomplished in 1848, and improvement of the town, which formally integrated in 1853, proceeded from there. The historic district encompasses, along with the canal and the dam, the mill-associated buildings on the island and on the north aspect of the canal, as well as a few buildings that front on Methuen and Union Streets, or the connecting aspect streets. The 2009 enlargement of the district, included a single constructing, the Morehouse Bakery building at 5-9 Mill Road.
1 Canal and Nice Stone Dam
2 Mill complexes
3 See also
Canal and Nice Stone Dam
The good Stone Dam was constructed across the Merrimack River at a place known as Bodwell’s Falls, where there is a five foot drop. The dam was built to raise the height of the drop to 30 ft (9.1 m). It is product of granite blocks laid on a mattress of hydraulic cement. At its base it’s 35 ft (11 m) thick, shrinking to thirteen ft (four.Zero m) at its prime. It has three sections: the central span is 900 feet (270 m), a south wing 324 feet (99 m) directs flow to the South Canal, and a 405 toes (123 m) wing directs water into the North Canal. It has a gatehouse, from which 24 gates in its sluiceway had been managed before jacket stone island murah the controls had been jacket stone island murah electrified. Nearby on the island are additionally the surviving gatekeeper’s house, an 1845 Greek Revival wooden body structure, and a c. 1860s barn.
The North Canal runs parallel to the Merrimack River, and is 5,330 toes (1,620 m) lengthy. It ranges in width from 100 feet (30 m) at its upper finish to 30 feet (9.1 m) the place its wasteway joins the Spicket River. The canal is trapezoidal in its cross-part, with partitions lined by granite, and a bottom made of granite rubble that has been sealed with clay. It’s able to delivering four,000 cubic toes of water per second; water power remains to be utilized in among the mills lining its banks. The canal used to have operable locks for navigation; the upper ones have been eliminated and the lower ones have been stuffed in.
The Pacific Mills complex is an in depth array of buildings within the western (upper) and central elements of the district. The oldest standing building, a storehouse, dates to 1860, and there are remnants of an earlier 1852 structure. One of many more spectacular constructions is the Weave Shed built in 1890; it is a two story brick constructing 300 ft (91 m) long. Its fundamental cotton advanced includes five buildings on the north side of the canal. Within the central a part of the district the Pacific Mills embrace buildings by which both cotton and worsted wool products have been manufactured.
The Atlantic Mill Company buildings stand subsequent to those of the Pacific Mills within the upper portion of the island. Only two notable buildings survive, the c. 1906 spinning mill, and a boarding home (one in all two such buildings to survive within the district) that dates to 1847 and is the one surviving remnant of what was as soon as a much more in depth housing district.
The central portion of the district consists of mill buildings from numerous manufacturers, including the Bay State Woolens Company (whose c. 1847 brick boarding home is now the visitor heart of Lawrence Heritage State Park), the Washington Mills, and buildings of the American Woolen Company and the Pemberton Mill. Other notable buildings right here embody the Essex Company Places of work and Yard (separately listed on the Nationwide Register). The decrease portion of the district is predominantly occupied by the mill complexes of the Everett Mills and the Kuhnhardt Woolen Mills.
National Register of Historic Locations listings in Lawrence, Massachusetts
Nationwide Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, Massachusetts
^ a b c Nationwide Park Service (2008-04-15). “Nationwide Register Information System”. National Register of Historic Locations. National Park Service.
^ a b c d e f g “NRHP nomination for North Canal Historic District (Boundary Increase)”. Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Retrieved 2014-01-05.